If you’re anything like me, the seaweed that brushes past you in the ocean is sometimes terrifying, slimy and gross. But this wondrous plant of the sea is fantastic for all types of things, and happens to be one of the ingredients in many of our favorite organic skincare products by Nurture My Body including the Organic Cleansing Milk, Citrus Hand and Body lotion, Organic Moisturizing Shampoo and more. Seaweed has a whole slew of uses and benefits. It contains antibacterial properties, includes the high and mighty B12, contains 14 times more calcium than milk and is chock full of protein! Kinda sounds like what’s for lunch — and today, it can be.
Adding this into your favorite summer salad could be quite the game changer, but if you’re still a skeptic, here’s a simple recipe to start with.
Nurturing Nori Salad
- Your favorite leafy lettuce
(I love arugula and fiber-packed baby spinach)
- Red Onions
- Nori seaweed
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Tear or chop lettuce into pieces
- Finely chop onions into thin slices or chunks
- Toast a few sheets of Nori. You can do this in the oven under your broiler for about 30 seconds. It’s only necessary to toast one side — no need to flip
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and a bit of lemon juice to lettuce
- Crumble the toasted Nori over the salad and toss.
This is a rather simple salad that introduces seaweed, but feel free to get creative! I can only imagine all the mix-in possibilities that would take this creation from good to freakin’ delicious! Share with us how you made it your own.